Transfer to KU

When considering transferring to University of Kansas, many BRIDGE students are concerned about the higher cost of attendance. Fortunately, there are a number of resources available to help BRIDGE participants transfer to the KU.

Recommended Application Timeline

To maximize your financial aid, ODST recommends that BRIDGE students begin their KU application process one year before they intend to transfer.  So, if you intend to transfer to KU in the fall, this is the suggested schedule for applying in order to secure financial aid:

  • August: Begin the process to apply to KU admission.
  • September-October: Apply for scholarships.  The priority deadline for KU scholarships is November 1st.  If you miss the priority deadline for KU scholarships and grants, contact the Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships to discuss your options.
  • February: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will determine your eligibility for federal financial aid such as the Stafford Loan and Pell Grant.  To be eligible for KU awards, you must complete your FAFSA before March 1st.
  • March: Research and apply for tribal grants.
  • June: Apply to the Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC), a program which provides financial support and mentored research experiences to students who are underrepresented in the sciences.

This is a general progression of events related to the financial aid process and is not intended to be comprehensive.

Financial Aid

As transfer students to KU, Bridge scholars have a number of scholarship opportunities available to them.  When completing your application to the University, make sure to check the box "Consider me for scholarships."  Bridge students with a 3.25 transfer GPA may automatically be considered for KU scholarships this way.  In addition, the Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships also maintains a list of 300-400 legitimate private and state scholarships.  The State of Kansas also offers scholarships and grants for Kansas residents. In order to maximize your aid, you should identify and apply to approximately 20 scholarships.

Tribal grants are often available to meet BRIDGE students' unmet financial need.  Check with your tribal leadership for more information about available funds and application instructions.

Generally, you will need to complete your FAFSA prior to applying for tribal funds.  Because tribal grants are intended to help cover your unmet financial need, you will likely need submit a needs analysis form to the Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships for certification.  Make sure to submit your request to the Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships two weeks prior to the scholarship application deadline.  After your financial aid application is complete, they will complete the form and forward it directly to the tribal or agency office.

The KU Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships has many experienced advisors that are available to talk with you about your financial aid questions.  The  Office for Financial Aid & Scholarships is located in 50 Strong Hall and is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (785) 864-4700 to schedule an appointment with one of their advisors.

If you need additional assistance with your personal finances, Student Money Management Services provides personal financial education services to KU students free of charge.  Student Money Management Services is available to help you understand your financial aid options and make better informed financial decisions.  They are located on the third floor of the Kansas Union, next to The Market.  You can schedule an appointment with them online.

Need Help?

As you go through the process of applying for aid, remember that the Bridge Program Coordinator is always available to help you navigate these resources.
Student worker sitting in the KU Info booth