Financial Aid for Bridge Students

When considering transferring to University of Kansas, many Bridge students are concerned about the higher cost of attendance. Fortunately, there are a number of resources available to help Bridge participants transfer to the KU. As you go through the process of applying for aid, remember that the Bridge Program Coordinator is always available to help you navigate these resources.

Recommended Application Timeline

To maximize your financial aid, ODST recommends that Bridge students begin the application process one year before they intend to transfer. So, if you intend to transfer to KU in the fall, this is the suggested schedule for applying for financial aid:

  • August: Begin the process of applying for admission to KU.
  • September-October: Apply for scholarships. The priority deadline for KU scholarships is November 1st. If you miss the priority deadline for KU scholarships and grants, contact the Office for Financial Aid to discuss your options.
  • January: Apply to the Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity (IMSD), a program which provides financial support and mentored research experiences to students who are underrepresented in the sciences.
  • February: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will determine your eligibility for federal financial aid such as the Stafford Loan and Pell Grant. To be eligible for KU awards, you must complete your FAFSA before March 1st.
  • March: Research and apply for tribal grants.

This is a general progression of events related to the financial aid process and is not intented to be comprehensive.


As transfer students to KU, Bridge scholars have a number of scholarship opportunities available to them. When completing your application to the University, make sure to check the box "Consider me for scholarships." Bridge students with a 3.25 transfer GPA may automatically be considered for KU scholarships this way. In addition, the Office for Financial Aid also maintains a list of 300-400 legitimate private scholarships. The State of Kansas also offers scholarships for Kansas residents. In order to maximize your aid, you should identify and apply to approximately 20 scholarships.

Tribal Grants

Tribal grants are often available to meet Bridge students' unmet financial need. Check with your tribal leadership for more information about available funds and application instructions.

Generally, you will need to complete your FAFSA prior to applying for tribal funds. Because tribal grants are intended to help cover your unmet financial need, you will likely need submit a needs analysis form to the Office of Student Financial Aid for certification. Make sure to submit your request to the Office of Student Financial Aid two weeks prior to the scholarship application deadline. After your financial aid application is complete, they will complete the form and forward it directly to the tribal or agency office.

S-STEM Program

University of Kansas sophomores and juniors in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields can apply for scholarships through the S-STEM program, an interdisciplinary scholarship program for students with an interest in renewable energy. Scholarships are worth up to $10,000 and are renewable for up to three years. The program provides specialized coursework in renewable energy/nanotechnology, faculty mentoring, seminars, field trips, and outreach activities. Students with good grades, a demonstrated financial need, and an interest in renewable energy are eligible to apply. Applications are due annually by August 31.

Bridge Financial Aid Calculator

Coming soon! Please check back.

KU Office of Student Financial Aid

The KU Office of Student Financial Aid has many experienced advisors that are available to talk with you about your financial aid questions. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in located in 50 Strong Hall and is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (785) 864-4700 to schedule an appointment with one of their advisors.

Student Money Management Services

If you need additional assistance with your personal finances, Student Money Management Services provides personal financial education services to KU students free of charge. Student Money Management Services is available to help you understand your financial aid options and make better informed financial decisions. They are located on the third floor of the Kansas Union, next to The Market. You can schedule an appointment with them online.

Office for Diversity in Science Training

The ODST office is open for business. IN PERSON orientation today with our new cohort of @NIGMSTraining PREP scholars. Welcome!

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times